Earlier this year, Feb. 22, 2017 to be exact, we wrote a blog called, Be Safe When Remodeling An Older Home: Five Potential Health Hazards.
As a licensed building contractor and asbestos inspector/contractor, I relayed the importance of ensuring the safety of workers and occupants in residential and commercial buildings from hazards such as asbestos and lead-based paint.
Early this month, we heard from Emily Walsh, Director of Community Outreach, with the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance who offered to share more information about asbestos and mesothelioma in support of our shared goal of promoting safety in the home! The statistics and health risks regarding this silent killer are shocking.
Emily wrote us to tell us about the purpose of the alliance:
The Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance is an online educational and support resource for cancer patients and caregivers. We are dedicated to providing answers to patients. We have a range of information on our site that talks about the cancer itself, the types of treatment that is expected, and preventative measures.
Since mesothelioma is a rare cancer, we like to put a big focus on the care a patient needs. To further assist them on their journey, we provide a list of doctors and cancer clinics that specialize in this diagnosis. It is our mission to continually provide relevant, timely, and factual information so that we can support those who are suffering.
She goes on to describe the dangers of asbestos in the home:
Homeowners, homebuyers, house flippers, should always be aware of possible asbestos containment in their homes. When properly installed or enclosed, asbestos is not a hazard since it cannot expose humans. However, as houses begin to age over time, and experience wear and tear, asbestos can become damaged or disturbed. When asbestos is damaged or exposed, it becomes airborne and can be breathed in by residents of a home. The asbestos fibers can then become lodged in lungs and cause asbestos-related diseases and mesothelioma years down the road.
When coming across a situation where you think there might be asbestos exposed in your home, it's better to be safe than sorry! Hire an asbestos inspector who can diagnose if there is an asbestos problem in your home, and if present, only remove asbestos through a trained professional.
As one can see, it is truly important to be aware of the dangers in your home. Safety goes beyond what you can just see or smell – sometimes it is the invisible toxins and pollutants that can jeopardize your safety and that of your loved ones at home or at work.
If you have any questions about Mesothelioma Cancer – visit the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance website. It does a remarkable job explaining the causes, symptoms, diagnoses and treatments for Mesothelioma Cancer.