Selecting a Personal Emergency Response System (PERS)

by Bruce Montgomery February 29, 2016

Selecting a Personal Emergency Response System (PERS)

As you are making your home safer, you may be realizing that there may come a time when you need to get emergency assistance fast – and with the simple push of a button. At the urging of loved ones or just because you know it’s a good idea – you may want to select a Personal Emergency Response System (PERS).

The Federal Trade Commission offers an overview of PERS and general questions to ask PERS companies.

Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS), also known as Medical Emergency Response Systems, let you call for help in an emergency by pushing a button. A PERS has three components: a small radio transmitter, a console connected to your telephone, and an emergency response center that monitors calls.

Transmitters are light-weight, battery-powered devices. You can wear one around your neck, on a wrist band, on a belt, or in your pocket. When you need help, you press the transmitter’s help button, which sends a signal to the console. The console automatically dials one or more emergency telephone numbers. Most PERS are programmed to telephone an emergency response center. The center will try to find out the nature of your emergency. They also may review your medical history and check who should be notified.

You can purchase, rent, or lease a PERS. Keep in mind that Medicare, Medicaid, and most insurance companies typically don’t pay for the equipment, and the few that pay require a doctor’s recommendation. Some hospitals and social service agencies may subsidize the device for low-income users. If you buy a PERS, expect to pay an installation fee and a monthly monitoring charge. Rentals are available through national manufacturers, local distributors, hospitals, and social service agencies, and fees often include the monitoring service. Read the contract carefully before you sign, and make note of extra charges, like cancellation fees.

Your local Area Agency on Aging ( may be able to tell you what systems are available in your area. See if friends, neighbors, or relatives have recommendations. When you have a list of PERS you’re considering, check with your local consumer protection agency, state Attorney General, and Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been filed against them. Questions you can ask a PERS company include:

  • Is the monitoring center open 24/7? What kind of training do staff receive?
  • What’s the average response time, and who gets alerted?
  • Will I be able to use the same system with other response centers if I move? What if I move to another city or state?
  • What’s your repair policy? What happens if I need a replacement?
  • What are the initial costs? What costs are ongoing? What kind of services and features will I get?

Your options when it comes to PERS may depend on where you live. Try looking up your local Area Agency on Aging at, and ask them about your options.

Your Area Agency on Aging (


(TRS: 1-800-677-1116)

 Safety-In-Place has found that PERS is a very competitive industry. As you investigate which PERS product is best for you, please be forewarned that the sales’ techniques may be very aggressive and disconcerting to seniors (and others for that matter).

Whichever PERS product you select – it will only work if you keep it charged and wear it!


*Note: Fall prevention efforts can reduce the risk of falling. Caregivers and older homeowners can become knowledgeable about what needs to be done to make homes as fall-proof as possible. Check here often and search for product ideas that can make you safer in your home!

Bruce Montgomery
Bruce Montgomery


Dr. Bruce Montgomery is a licensed building contractor in Michigan and Florida. He is a Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist as designated by the National Association of Home Builders. He has also achieved an Executive Certificate in Home Modification from the University of Southern California. He has a wide ranging educational background, including a Master of Science degree in Entomology, with a Master of Science degree in Forestry and a Ph.D. in educational administration.